About Me

My photo
Louisiana
We're not the typical family. I've recently become Caregiver/Guardian to my Mom as she deals with Dementia. I'm married, have three grown children and also an 18 yr. old daughter who lives at home and recently made us grandparents to her beautiful new baby girl. That means that we have four generations of women under the same roof. Mister and I have been married forever. . .It's not the life we dreamed about, nor the one we would have chosen, but most days we find a way to laugh and bumble our way through. We're enjoying the journey, even with the unexpected side trips along the way. FOLLOW ME, if you dare! LOL!

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Looking Very Good!

This past weekend we celebrated our middle granddaughter's birthday.
Mom enjoyed the family dinner, and though she tried to get out of the photo - there was no escaping the camera.  She is seated between her two oldest great-granddaughters, and looking very good, I think!

We made the drive to Oklahoma for the birthday festivities.  Mom is now staying with my Sister in Tulsa for a prolonged visit.  She will probably be there until Thanksgiving.  She told me she would miss me and think about me every day.  She seemed to be a little sad that we were leaving to go back to LA, but at the same time she seemed pleased to stay and visit in Tulsa for a while.

I know this is not the life my Mom would have ever imagined, but she is doing well and most days she seems to have adjusted quite well to her "new normal".  We've all come a long way since the major changes that took place last December.  We're all in a far better place today, than we were back then.  So very thankful!

6 comments:

  1. what a heart warming post, I remember those first days were so hard for you, it sgreat for everything to finally smooth out, I don't think anything comes out exactly how we would imagine but it can always be much worse, I suppose thats why they say don't look to future live for today, let the future take care of its self, beautiful photo,

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so hapoy for you and your family! You have all INDEED come a long way, it wasn't easy but you DID it !

    ReplyDelete
  3. It has been quite a journey for you all, and I think everybody adapted splendidly through all the bumps! You guys are definitely one of the most "family-oriented" families I've known of. Your Mom looks great.
    (I've done my share of imagining my future and all I can say is, nothing ever turns out quite as imagined. Sometimes it's better! Sometimes not.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad I came to this side of your blog life too -- the photo of your mom with the girls is priceless. She DOES look great, and I'm so glad you are receiving a little respite while she blesses the Tulsa branch. Now you can spoil HK even more rotten!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad to hear this. Your mom is looking good and it sounds like she will miss you. The fun things you always have for her to do is so nice. I am so glad things are working so well. You deserve a break and am glad your sister is so willing to do her share. Some sisters would let you do all the work. I know a few. Enjoy your break. Blessings, Ann

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a new understanding for what you and your family along with your Mom are going through. It is a 'new normal' for us around here too. My MIL has good and bad days and sometimes you think all the wires are connecting and then the next minute she is accusing someone of eating ALL her string cheese. LOL Glad to know we are not alone in this new adventure.

    ReplyDelete