About Me

My photo
Louisiana
We're not the typical family. I've recently become Caregiver/Guardian to my Mom as she deals with Dementia. I'm married, have three grown children and also an 18 yr. old daughter who lives at home and recently made us grandparents to her beautiful new baby girl. That means that we have four generations of women under the same roof. Mister and I have been married forever. . .It's not the life we dreamed about, nor the one we would have chosen, but most days we find a way to laugh and bumble our way through. We're enjoying the journey, even with the unexpected side trips along the way. FOLLOW ME, if you dare! LOL!

Friday, December 6, 2013

A Bowl of "Happy"!


Can you imagine what it would be like to NEVER feel hungry?

That can be one of the side effects of advanced dementia.
Mom is never hungry.
You can be sure she never turns down ice cream, but as far as being "hungry" - it doesn't happen.

Today our family stopped for fast food tacos.
Can you say, "Taco Bell"?  [smile]
Mom likes tacos, so that's not the problem.
She told my husband not to order her anything because she wasn't hungry.  It had been several hours since any of us had eaten anything and everyone else was hungry, except for her.  He went ahead and ordered her a small taco and a glass of sweet tea.  She grumbled.  I told her  to just eat what she wanted and leave what she didn't want.  (Mom hates to see food wasted, so that fact was on our side.)

"When you get old, people just boss you around", she groused.
But she ate the whole thing.

She sees the doctor next week so I'll be sure to mention her declining appetite to him.  Until then I'll continue to boss her around coax her to eat at least something at meal time.  Then at bedtime I'll take her a bowl of ice cream and she'll forgive me for pushing food at her throughout the day.  She needs the calories and it's a bowl of "happy" that never fails to please.

When you're 84 you can eat ice cream every night at bedtime, which gives us all something to look forward to!


1 comment:

  1. Happy, happy, happy!
    Here's hoping the doctor can give you some good strategy.

    ReplyDelete