About Me

My photo
Louisiana
We're not the typical family. I've recently become Caregiver/Guardian to my Mom as she deals with Dementia. I'm married, have three grown children and also an 18 yr. old daughter who lives at home and recently made us grandparents to her beautiful new baby girl. That means that we have four generations of women under the same roof. Mister and I have been married forever. . .It's not the life we dreamed about, nor the one we would have chosen, but most days we find a way to laugh and bumble our way through. We're enjoying the journey, even with the unexpected side trips along the way. FOLLOW ME, if you dare! LOL!

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Diamonds and Stones


"Some days are diamonds some days are stones
Sometimes the hard times won't leave me alone
Sometimes a cold wind blows a chill in my bones
Some days are diamonds some days are stones."

      ~John Denver


It seems we've had so many, blessed, good days with Mom that sometimes I forget that ultimately we're fighting a losing battle.  Dementia/Alz always wins.  There is no cure.  But there is a lot to say for the medicines that can work their God-given magic for a very long time.

Today Mom was "out of sorts".  These days happen occasionally and when they do I'm reminded once again of the challenges she faces...

Instead of getting dressed and readied for the day she remained in her pj's far longer than usual.  Once I went into her room and she was sitting in her chair simply running her fingers back and forth through her hair.  She had a distant look in her eyes but her conversation was right on track.

Later I went back into her room and she was sitting staring blankly, still wearing her pj's.  Normally she would have been fully dressed and reading a book.  She's still an avid reader. . .So I suggested to her that we go a movie. She agreed.  This spurred her to take a shower and ready herself for going out.

The movie outing was good.  She enjoyed the movie. She seemed much more "in tune" after being out.

There is a lot to be said for mental stimulation.
Last weekend I was out of town and Mom was indoors the entire time I was gone.  She was cared for, but not really mentally challenged or stimulated.  I feel today was the result of that.
It's the biggest challenge I face right now with caring for Mom and helping her to be at her best.

1 comment:

  1. I am so fully aware of your journey and your Mom's out of sorts kind of days. My Mom in law also has dementia and for the past week she has been having bad days...so sad to see this vibrant woman who LOVED to work in her garden and be outside not have any interest at all in it and then accuses us of kidnapping her and wanting to call the cops because we were holding her against her will. I feel as I am sure you do too, that we are on a roller coaster, some days are good and then bam, we are going down again. I lift you up in my thoughts today sweet friend!!!

    ReplyDelete