About Me

My photo
Louisiana
We're not the typical family. I've recently become Caregiver/Guardian to my Mom as she deals with Dementia. I'm married, have three grown children and also an 18 yr. old daughter who lives at home and recently made us grandparents to her beautiful new baby girl. That means that we have four generations of women under the same roof. Mister and I have been married forever. . .It's not the life we dreamed about, nor the one we would have chosen, but most days we find a way to laugh and bumble our way through. We're enjoying the journey, even with the unexpected side trips along the way. FOLLOW ME, if you dare! LOL!

Monday, January 21, 2013

Changes

We began to notice subtle changes in Dink.
There was nothing alarming about these changes, but we now realize these were symptoms of  what lay ahead.


When the family gathered for holidays we would often play board games or cards.  We were surprised when Dink chose not to join in the games, but rather to observe.  She had always enjoyed the friendly competition of these games throughout the years.  She quit her weekly Bridge group of friends.

Repetition.
Dink asked questions.
Then she asked them again.
And again.
At times she would ask the same question three of four times during the course of an evening.  It was not a big deal.  She was eighty.  It was OK if her memory was not as sharp as it once was.

She had some minor health issues.
She went to doctors.
She seemed to never like any doctor she saw.
She changed doctors often.

Mom and Dad had worked hard during their lifetime to save their money for retirement.  Mom was a pro at budgeting.  She balanced her checkbook to the penny.  Though not extravagant, she had money for most anything she desired to buy.  She enjoyed her banking errands.  Over time she perhaps enjoyed them to the point that she became somewhat of a nuisance where she banked.  She went to the banks OFTEN to "check on her money".  She was a bit obsessed with her banking accounts.

She changed her driving habits, just a bit.
She quit driving after dark.
We, as a family, discussed Mom's driving and wondered about her safety.  We wondered about how to approach this subject with her.  On the occasions where we refused to ride in the car with her she became very angry.  Just because she was "old" didn't mean she wasn't a good driver, she pointed out.  She had received no citations and had not had any wrecks.  She made some valid points.  Still, none of us were willing to ride with her when she drove.

Alone, none of these changes in Mom's behavior seemed anything to be concerned about.  Mom remained totally independent, just the way she liked it!

6 comments:

  1. Bless your heart! That's got to be so hard to see the changes taking place in your mom. What a wonderful mom you have in Dink. Looking forward to seeing the journey and adventure your life has taken on. Also, excited to hear about your grand baby doll.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for FOLLOWING my new Blog. I'm venturing into new territory with my life and blogging is my "therapy". I'm hoping others will learn along with me as we deal with Mom's diagnosis. Dementia affects many families, and it's often shrouded in silence. I hope the day comes when we can openly address it. "Knowledge is Power", and I'm on a mission to learn about this and hopefully aid in helping Mom get the dignity, care, and quality of life that she deserves.

      Delete
  2. I really think your Mum is so lucky to have you, aging sucks and when things happen outside our own control its a blessing to have family that cares enough to take charge, even if we don't want it, you are a good egg,blessing to you,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm gonna give this a good try, Laurie. Not sure if I can handle it - honestly I've heard horror stories. Still, gonna give it my best for as long as I can.

      Delete
  3. I don't understand the difference between Alzheimer's and dementia. I haven't really dealt with this in anyone close to me, although I remember one of my grandmother's changing drastically and doing many of the things you have described. Your Mom is blessed indeed to have family who will take such good care of her. So sad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sent you a note, Connie, hope you got it. Been missing you on FB...Hope your Dear Heart has recovered from the flu and that you are staying well.

    ReplyDelete