About Me

My photo
Louisiana
We're not the typical family. I've recently become Caregiver/Guardian to my Mom as she deals with Dementia. I'm married, have three grown children and also an 18 yr. old daughter who lives at home and recently made us grandparents to her beautiful new baby girl. That means that we have four generations of women under the same roof. Mister and I have been married forever. . .It's not the life we dreamed about, nor the one we would have chosen, but most days we find a way to laugh and bumble our way through. We're enjoying the journey, even with the unexpected side trips along the way. FOLLOW ME, if you dare! LOL!

Friday, January 25, 2013

Ice Cream.


Dink loves ice cream - any flavor is fine.
Any brand is fine.
It's been a staple in her home for as far back as I can remember.  Every night, without exception, she eats a bowl of ice cream before she goes to bed.  If the ice cream in the refrigerator freezer begins to be low, then you can be sure there are more gallons of the frozen treat in the deep freezer. Mom never allows herself to run out of ice cream.  The great grand kids love to visit "Grandma" because "she lets you have ice cream" and "you get to choose your flavor", as the 9 yr old granddoll recently told me.

Last Summer my daughter had the opportunity to visit with Dink on many occasions while her own children were out of school.  There were many bowls of ice cream shared during her visits.

One evening my phone rang, and my daughter said, "Mom, I think all Grandma is eating is ice cream".  (I live 6 hours away from Mom so I am not in and out of her house as often as my daughter is.)

"No.  Couldn't be", I said.
"What makes you think so?".

She had some vague, non-conclusive, reasoning she shared with me.

This was a new "red flag".
Later I would remember this conversation as an important one.

2 comments:

  1. Glad I heard from you and I will follow you too. Ice cream, one of the 5 poisons to the brain and body. Of course, as they age they lose their taste buds except for ice cream. My mom while in independent living was eating only ice cream and cookies, and that was one of the reasons (just one of many) that we moved her to assisted living. Now that she is in a nursing home, I see them give daily ice cream. I asked about that and was told that yes because sweet is all they eat, and they are trying to get calories into their dwindling bodies, they weighed their decision, poison to the brain or death by starvation and decided to let them have all the sweets they want. So they can live longer with a shrinking brain, remembering less and less and their body dying each day a little bit more, or they can stop the sweets and they'll die quicker. What a choice one has to make. One of the saddest diseases ever!!

    ReplyDelete