About Me

My photo
Louisiana
We're not the typical family. I've recently become Caregiver/Guardian to my Mom as she deals with Dementia. I'm married, have three grown children and also an 18 yr. old daughter who lives at home and recently made us grandparents to her beautiful new baby girl. That means that we have four generations of women under the same roof. Mister and I have been married forever. . .It's not the life we dreamed about, nor the one we would have chosen, but most days we find a way to laugh and bumble our way through. We're enjoying the journey, even with the unexpected side trips along the way. FOLLOW ME, if you dare! LOL!

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Crafting. Perhaps.

The only change I have noticed in Mom since she came home from being away for a month, is a lessened degree of mobility.  Her walk has become less steady, still she does pretty well if there is something to stabilize her, such as a shopping cart, etc. She pushed our shopping cart though Hobby Lobby today which made for a nice, cool, outing and also some exercise.

I talked with her about doing a bit of crafting that we could take to a local nursing home which is in a low income area.  I've been told (by a nurse) that their residents LOVE "absolutely anything" anyone brings to give them.  With that thought in mind I'm hoping Mom will catch the crafting bug, which would be a win/win - it would give her something to do (besides read) and perhaps brighten the heart of the recipients.  With that thought in mind we are planning a 4th of July project and this is what we bought to work with.:




I hope Mom enjoys this and can work mostly solo on the project.  I'll post photos of the completed project if  when it's done.





3 comments:

  1. Great idea! I hope she likes it. When my friends and I did senior outreach, they loved the little gifts we would bring sometimes - even something as small as a homemade card, they loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lost your email address. write me at westwinds4j@aol.com, now about the crafts. i use to lead children in church all the time in a mission project, and one of the crafts i found the elderly loved was words from tea for two on a card, left dangling from a tea bag string with the bag in a plastic cup which was decorated. If you can get their names in advance you can put the names on the cups. If you didn't want the words from tea for two you can use a poem or a saying about a good cup of tea. Easy craft and other than teabags and printing whatever you put on it, you can buy plastic cups for cheap. Just one of the ideas we used. I'm a crafter/artist type deluxe, use to own a ceramics store with a daily craft class for children. So if you need more ideas, let me know.

    ReplyDelete