About Me

My photo
Louisiana
We're not the typical family. I've recently become Caregiver/Guardian to my Mom as she deals with Dementia. I'm married, have three grown children and also an 18 yr. old daughter who lives at home and recently made us grandparents to her beautiful new baby girl. That means that we have four generations of women under the same roof. Mister and I have been married forever. . .It's not the life we dreamed about, nor the one we would have chosen, but most days we find a way to laugh and bumble our way through. We're enjoying the journey, even with the unexpected side trips along the way. FOLLOW ME, if you dare! LOL!

Monday, July 15, 2013

Bon Appetit

Breakfast:   Small bowl of cereal, 2 oz fruit juice
Lunch:         Ice Cream Brownie Sundae
Dinner:        1/2 C. Beef Stew, Ice Cream w/Apple Crisp

This is what Mom ate today.
She rarely ever feels "hunger".
Each meal comes as a total surprise to her, however she is usually good to eat whatever is put onto her plate. She reminds me that she was raised in the country and they were taught to not waste food, so she tries to always "finish her plate".

Cereal is her usual breakfast - she likes the taste and she can fix it herself, which is something she is proud of doing.  I usually prepare her lunch, but today we had business across town so I pulled through a Burger King.  My daughter and I both ordered a Whooper Jr. & drink - Mom ordered a Brownie Ice Cream Sundae.  Yes, I was a bit surprised, but she insisted that was what she wanted (and all she wanted), so an ice cream sundae it was.  Later, when we sat down to dinner, I was even more surprised when she only ate a small bit of her soup (we all woofed down 2 bowls each).  She didn't "finish her plate" (bowl) - VERY unusual for her, but she did eat every bite of her dessert.  *smile*   I'm hoping this was just an "off day", and not the beginning of a problem.  Mom is quite small and it would not be good for her to lose any weight.  I understand that losing one's appetite is often another step in the Alzheimer's progress.  Praying this is not the case for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment