About Me

My photo
Louisiana
We're not the typical family. I've recently become Caregiver/Guardian to my Mom as she deals with Dementia. I'm married, have three grown children and also an 18 yr. old daughter who lives at home and recently made us grandparents to her beautiful new baby girl. That means that we have four generations of women under the same roof. Mister and I have been married forever. . .It's not the life we dreamed about, nor the one we would have chosen, but most days we find a way to laugh and bumble our way through. We're enjoying the journey, even with the unexpected side trips along the way. FOLLOW ME, if you dare! LOL!

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

As I See It.

Yesterday I went with Mom to the Senior Center.
I was surprised to find the parking lot full of cars and at least 75 people inside enjoying all the activities.  We were shown around by a very nice woman.  Mom had the choice of a modified exercise class, a "visiting" room, Bingo, Domino's or an Uno game.  I thought she would choose the exercise class, but I was wrong, she chose Bingo.  She had trouble hearing the Caller, but seemed to enjoy it any way.

Afterwards she was sort of shuffled into a Choir group.
Our family is lacking in musical ability.  Mom does not, nor has she ever had, any interest in music.  We've always attended church and she has never chosen to sing in the choir.  Still, much to my surprise, she actually  sang along a little as the group sang some old gospel hymns.  Color me surprised.

It was my hope that Mom would soon become comfortable enough to go here "solo" a couple of mornings each week.  As I see it, I now think going here "solo" is an unreasonable expectation.  There were some people there using walkers, wheelchairs, and some on oxygen, but for the ones I met, dementia did not seem to be an issue.  I don't really think Mom is up to navigating there alone.  A friend suggested I look for someone who could be paid to attend with her.  I think that's a good idea, one I'm gonna check into.

At dinner Mom told us she was gonna "look for a husband", but that's a different post altogether.


8 comments:

  1. I'm smiling. You are such a good daughter.
    One thing I've noticed when doing senior ministry was how much the people lit up and joined in when we sang the old songs. I think music is good for the soul whether you have musical abilities or not.
    You are a busy lady. I hope you find time for you, too. And that Mommy and Haylee are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right about the old hymns - they seem to bring a comfort to the heart. It's fun to see Mom try some new things - choir included. Things are pretty busy around here right now, but I know it will slow in a bit of time. Makes me think of the country song, "It won't be like this for long" - so true!

      Delete
  2. You ARE such a good daughter!! You remind me of my sister, Deanie! I've always heard music is a big draw for seniors - and we are the same kind of family. NONE of us can carry a tune in a bucket - me, mother, any of my sisters OR my brother!
    Pace yourself!!! You are in for a long haul. A paid helper would be perfect if it is in your finances to do so!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANKS!! I appreciate the suggestion of a paid "friend" to be with her there. I am gonna talk to the coordinator of the program and see if she can suggest someone for me to interview. Will do some checking on that. I LOVE that suggestion!!

      Delete
  3. I am sure there are a lot of senior places if that is too advance for her maybe check out another. You are a great daughter. sandie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There doesn't seem to be many senior services in our area, but I am on the look-out for others. Let the search continue. :-)

      Delete
  4. Will the CNA's not transport her? Maybe if you ask the nurse or social director, they will make sure that happens. It sounds like she's adjusting as well as can be expected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they would, but I worry that she might take a fall navigating the "on & off" of the bus. Yep - I'm a worry wart!

      Delete