About Me

My photo
Louisiana
We're not the typical family. I've recently become Caregiver/Guardian to my Mom as she deals with Dementia. I'm married, have three grown children and also an 18 yr. old daughter who lives at home and recently made us grandparents to her beautiful new baby girl. That means that we have four generations of women under the same roof. Mister and I have been married forever. . .It's not the life we dreamed about, nor the one we would have chosen, but most days we find a way to laugh and bumble our way through. We're enjoying the journey, even with the unexpected side trips along the way. FOLLOW ME, if you dare! LOL!

Sunday, March 17, 2013

Pollyanna who?


All systems are "go" here in the Bayou.
Things are not perfect but things are most times good.

Our new granddoll is 11 days old and she and her lil' Mama are doing fantastic.  My Mom, Dink, who has been living with us 2+ weeks, is still adjusting to her "new normal".  She is taking her meds without hesitation each time I give them to her.  BIG "thank you Jesus" for that!".  She loves to fold laundry, which is definitely a big help to me.  She finds the baby interesting and enjoys looking at her but has no real interest in holding or trying to help with her - this was a concern and we feared her "help" with the baby could have been a problem, but that has not been the case.

Lest I sound to "Pollyanna", I don't want to mislead you.
Things are not perfect.
Yesterday Mom came to the dinner table and cried. It broke my heart.
She tells me she know longer has a home and she doesn't know what she is going to do.
I reassure her and try to explain that "Our casa is her casa".  Some days she gets the concept and some days she doesn't.

Tomorrow "we" are going to the Senior Center.
I'm hoping she LOVES this place.  It would be such a great opportunity for her to make some friends.  Like a nervous mother hen I will be there hovering just to make sure it's a good fit for her.  I will be the one with hair that needs to be shampoo'd.  Mom will be the one in the new pink floral blouse we bought specially for this occasion.  Wish us luck!

5 comments:

  1. I think of you daily and will be praying for you and your mom......and your lil' mama and granddoll!
    You are doing an awesome job!! You and God have GOT THIS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Thanks for the encouragement and the prayers.
      Each day is a Victory!

      Delete
  2. Oh, I hope it goes well. Our rescheduled court date for guardianship of my in-laws is Wed. I so hope the judge shows up this time.

    Bless your heart- I can just see you hovering nearby. I would be doing the same-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelly, I sure hope everything can be settled on Wednesday. Hope you get a good, reasonable, clear-thinking judge. Please stop back by on Wed. And tell me how it went.

      Delete
  3. I just wanted to share a quick story with you. Dad also loves to fold laundry. I have been told it is calming for patient with Dementia and if they get angry and decide to throw it at you, it leaves less bruises:-)

    I usually go to the laundry card at the hospital and get piles of facecloths and put them on his table. We start folding together. I let him get a small pile going and then I unobtusively take some out of his pile and add to the have to fold pile. We can do this for a long time. He feels he is helping and it is calming. Live and learn my dear friend......

    Filly
    p.s. he also loves to wipe down his table after dinner. He takes a wet one and cleans it till it sparkles. I'm going to attempt dusting next week.

    ReplyDelete