About Me

My photo
Louisiana
We're not the typical family. I've recently become Caregiver/Guardian to my Mom as she deals with Dementia. I'm married, have three grown children and also an 18 yr. old daughter who lives at home and recently made us grandparents to her beautiful new baby girl. That means that we have four generations of women under the same roof. Mister and I have been married forever. . .It's not the life we dreamed about, nor the one we would have chosen, but most days we find a way to laugh and bumble our way through. We're enjoying the journey, even with the unexpected side trips along the way. FOLLOW ME, if you dare! LOL!

Friday, March 15, 2013

GO!


This past week my husband and I have tag-teamed, one of us spending time at the hospital with our daughter and new granddoll, and the other staying home with Mom.  It worked well, EXCEPT for Mom.  She soon began to fret feeling we were "babysitting" her.  The thought is insulting for an 83 year old woman.  We get that.  Still, what to do when one has dementia and is not to live alone.  ? ? ?  One particular day she followed me from room to room telling me to "Go!"  "Go to the hospital, I can stay by myself" she said, again and again and again.  I gave various reasons why I needed to be home, "laundry, cooking, housework", etc., but she knew they were excuses.  Mom sometimes likes to read the paper, so I got my keys and tried to get her to go with me to buy a paper.  She refused, telling me to "Go, get it myself", so I did.  I was gone maybe three minutes.  When I pulled back into our housing division I took the back way around the block before pulling into our drive-way.  I knew that Mom could not see the car when I approached the house from that direction.  I parked in my own drive-way where I could see both the front door and the garage door, but knowing that I could not be seen from the front house window.  I made some phone calls.  I played on my ipad.  I "hung out" giving Mom some much needed "independence time" alone in the house all the while I was watching the door making sure she would not leave.

After a bit I went inside to find Mom in her room reading.
She was calm.
She was happy.
She was satisfied now that she had enjoyed some alone time.

Note to self:  When Mom needs alone time I can simply
circle the block and drive back into the drive-way to
watch the house while Mom enjoys being alone for a bit.


4 comments:

  1. You are wise beyond your years! Good thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that is very respectful of her wishes. sandie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Smart daughter you are. I am keeping track of all this. My turn may be next. Just hoping my Mom stays sane enough to take care of my Dad. If she falls and hits her head we are in deep trouble around here. Hope you got your daughter and that precious granddaughter home safely. Praying for all of you and that things go smoothly. Blessings, Ann

    ReplyDelete