About Me

My photo
Louisiana
We're not the typical family. I've recently become Caregiver/Guardian to my Mom as she deals with Dementia. I'm married, have three grown children and also an 18 yr. old daughter who lives at home and recently made us grandparents to her beautiful new baby girl. That means that we have four generations of women under the same roof. Mister and I have been married forever. . .It's not the life we dreamed about, nor the one we would have chosen, but most days we find a way to laugh and bumble our way through. We're enjoying the journey, even with the unexpected side trips along the way. FOLLOW ME, if you dare! LOL!

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

"Stealth mode"


Mom has been with us 10 days now.  She's done very well.  It's just now that she is beginning to understand that she is not visiting, but instead, living here.  She finds it confusing.  She plans and she plots trying to figure out a way to get back to Oklahoma.  We listen.  We redirect.  We even explain.  She seems to "get it" for a bit, then she forgets yet again.

We were at a department store one day last week.  She had a small store cart that she pushed and it helped her maneuver the store isles quite well.  She wanted me to "lead the way".  I noticed she was having problems keeping up with me, so I slowed my gait.  Didn't help - she slowed too.  I stopped to wait on her, but she stopped too.  Finally, I got it, "she was trying to ditch me".  She turned her cart the opposite direction and marched on, waving me off with her hand.  LOL  I was being ditched by Mom, who chose to "shop" alone.  I went into stealth mode.  I crouched along the edge of the store shelves and racks keeping my eyes on her as she meandered down the central isle.  It was funny!  It gave her a sense of some much needed independence.

We met at the front of the store.
It was a good outing.
This ol' dog is learning some new tricks and this is one of them.


No comments:

Post a Comment