About Me

My photo
Louisiana
We're not the typical family. I've recently become Caregiver/Guardian to my Mom as she deals with Dementia. I'm married, have three grown children and also an 18 yr. old daughter who lives at home and recently made us grandparents to her beautiful new baby girl. That means that we have four generations of women under the same roof. Mister and I have been married forever. . .It's not the life we dreamed about, nor the one we would have chosen, but most days we find a way to laugh and bumble our way through. We're enjoying the journey, even with the unexpected side trips along the way. FOLLOW ME, if you dare! LOL!

Sunday, March 3, 2013

Today is the Day.


This is a BIG day for our family.
Today our family goes before the Judge for Guardianship for our Mother.  My Sister and I have been advised by multiple doctors that we should do this.  Mom has the type of dementia which causes the person who has dementia to actually "forget" that they don't remember.  It's confusing, isn't it?  Mom doesn't understand what is happening in regards to all of this.  For that reason she has obtained a very sharp, high paid, Lawyer.  My sister and I want to be named Co-Guardians for Mom and we are in agreement that the best thing for Mom, at this time, would be for her to come home to Louisiana and live with me (and my immediate family). . .So today we go before the Judge.



Not this Judge, Silly!
A different Judge.

Mom's attorney is asking that Mom remain in the assisted living facility where she has been for almost two months as we all waited for this court date.  She is also asking that I be made the sole Guardian, but not be allowed to take Mom out of the county where she lives.  (I live in a different state; a 6 hr drive.) DUH?  Can't imagine how that would make sense to anyone.

For now, I'll spare you all the reasons we feel this would not be a good arrangement, but the bottom line is that we don't feel Mom would thrive in the assisted living environment, at this time.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
If the Judge rules in our direction then we will return home tomorrow with Mom in tow.  I am hopeful this will happen.  If the Judge does not allow Mom to travel here then she will go to live with my Sister, who lives in the area, sort of.  Unless -

The worst case scenario would be if the Judge rules that Mom should remain in the assisted living center.  I know in my heart that Mom will not do well there over time.

That said, we've done everything we know to possibly do to make the best arrangements for Mom.  We've hired an attorney, who has so far been very disappointing.  And we've prayed about it. Now, regardless of what happens, I will leave this in God's hands, and know it is ultimately his will for Mom's life, as well as for the rest of the family. . .Oh, I may stomp about a little, and feel a lot guilty for living so far away,  and I certainly won't understand, but as my Sister often says, "We'll deal with it".  

Saturday's post:  "The VERDICT"

edited 3/3:
This post was delayed so the Friday court date has come and gone.
HAPPY to report that everything went smoothly.
Mom had decided it would be in her best interest to move to Louisiana to live with my family, with the right to have some extended visits with my Sister in Tulsa, during certain times of the year.  My sister and I were made co-Guardians.  *huge sigh of relief*

Mom did fine on the drive from Oklahoma to Louisiana.
A new chapter for our family has begun.







5 comments:

  1. I think about you every single day and know you are doing your very best for everyone in your life. Praise God for the good news. Continued prayers for you, sweet lady!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your prayers, they mean so very much!

      Delete
  2. Glad things worked out so well. Hope this new chapter in your life blesses everyone in your family. You and your sister have worked hard for this and I hope your Mom will appreciate it. She will get so much better care and attention with you. It should make her life more enjoyable with family around and not employees that don't have that special love that your own family has. Will keep you in my prayers. Blessings, Ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is my hope and what we are working toward.
      I have the belief that our perfect God would not ask me to do something without gifting me to do the job well. Jesus is my source.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad things went well for you. And if you see it is too much and must revert back to a home, at least it will be one close to you so you can visit often. My advice is not to take on so much that your health suffers. I've read several books about homecarers who actually get in worst shapes than their patients due to the stress and lack of sleep. But with your faith in the Lord, I know whatever route you end up going, will be in his will. He honors our respect of our parents. Honor your parents so that your days on earth may be long is the only commandment with a promise. Just remember that taking care of the caregiver is as important as taking care of the patient, as it'll do her no good if you are ill. God bless.

    ReplyDelete