About Me

My photo
Louisiana
We're not the typical family. I've recently become Caregiver/Guardian to my Mom as she deals with Dementia. I'm married, have three grown children and also an 18 yr. old daughter who lives at home and recently made us grandparents to her beautiful new baby girl. That means that we have four generations of women under the same roof. Mister and I have been married forever. . .It's not the life we dreamed about, nor the one we would have chosen, but most days we find a way to laugh and bumble our way through. We're enjoying the journey, even with the unexpected side trips along the way. FOLLOW ME, if you dare! LOL!

Monday, April 29, 2013

Day #5


I knew what to expect when I visited Mom at the Alz/dementia hospital.  I knew she didn't want to see me.  I understand it, so no need to feel sorry for me.  There is plenty of reason to feel sorry for Mom though.   Never mind that the walls are painted friendly colors and the food is good.  Never mind that the entry is surrounded by lovely, blooming azalea plants.


This is what it looks like to her.
 She has anger in her eyes and talks of being put into "jail" - this is the world as she sees it.  This is her reality - false, but real to her.  Though I try to help her, she sees me as the enemy, the one who has caused her all this pain.

Dementia tangles the mind in awful ways.
It takes away one's freedom to live alone, to care for one's self, to drive, to do all the things one has done for a lifetime.  It is an evil warden.

Praying the good docs can get her back on her meds and fine-tune them in such a way that she can find joy once again living with us.

8 comments:

  1. Continued prayers for you, your mom and family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just to know that others are praying takes me to a happy place. Thanks so much, Linda!

      Delete
  2. Praying here, too. I can't imagine how hard this is for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I soooooo appreciate your prayers. They really do make such a difference - it is the ultimate gift! Thanks so much.

      Delete
  3. My Dad went into a lockdown unit Friday Deb. electronic bracelet attached to his wrist. Code to punch into an electronic pad to exit. Picture taken for security purposes. I don't feel sorry for you my dear dear friend. I feel tremendous compassion and empathy. It's hard to take advantage of the time they are away to rest when your heart is in tatters. I recently read at caregiving.com that you cannot make the adjustment for your parent. It is a process you can help with, but ultimately it is their adjustment. Wish I could get my heart to understand that. Sometimes I wish I didn't have one.....my thoughts are with you.

    Filly

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have lots of wisdom in your words. I always learn from you. It's a path none of us wants to travel but it is somehow comforting to know others travel alongside us. May God bless and watch over our parents and give us wisdom. ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my gosh, Im so sorry, but it amazing how mixed up or missed up meds can make a difference.
    There is an older woman in our building here who I had become friends with, she started to go down hill and was so confused, doing and saying very strange things, it escalated until she was hospitalized, it was discovered while she was in hospital that all was wrong was she wasn't taking meds!She was put on a regular med schedule with people checking on her regularly and is fine now, I was shocked because I thought she was gone for good! Meds are tricky stuff, take care my sweet freind, I think of you often,

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mom sometimes thinks her nursing home is jail, but mostly she's afraid it is an insane asylum and that her friends will drop her. She has not friends because at 90 she has outlived them. She still knows me, and blames me a lot of the time and other times is appreciative of all I do for her. This week we've discovered another family member with this disease and it was a surprise to all concerned, and it has unbelievable financial results as they squandered a small fortune before we realized what was happening. STOP I want to yell. This disease is insidious and it needs to be STOPPED.

    ReplyDelete