About Me

My photo
Louisiana
We're not the typical family. I've recently become Caregiver/Guardian to my Mom as she deals with Dementia. I'm married, have three grown children and also an 18 yr. old daughter who lives at home and recently made us grandparents to her beautiful new baby girl. That means that we have four generations of women under the same roof. Mister and I have been married forever. . .It's not the life we dreamed about, nor the one we would have chosen, but most days we find a way to laugh and bumble our way through. We're enjoying the journey, even with the unexpected side trips along the way. FOLLOW ME, if you dare! LOL!

Monday, April 1, 2013

Plan B


Today would normally have been "Bingo Day" for Mom, as I go with her each Monday to the Senior Center to play Bingo, however, we slept a little late today, and anyone who knows someone who is dealing with dementia, knows that you cannot "hurry" them - they have one speed, and that's whatever speed they are navigating with on a given day.  SO, we chose Plan B, which was shopping.

Mom wanted to shop for some makeup and a pair of earrings.
She had a list prepared.
This was BIG, for two reasons:

  1.  Most days Mom has little interest in makeup (which she used to love).  
  2. And, Mom has not been able to make any type of list since last November.
It will be interesting to see if these two interests/skills are present going forward.  I would like to think of this as improvement, perhaps brought on by her current blend of meds.  Doncha' just love a reason to think things are improving for someone you love?!

Our only issue today has been with choosing makeup.
Mom had a particular brand & color of makeup on her "list".  The makeup she is replacing is old.  We can't find the exact color in the store - I think it has probably been discontinued.

"Discontinued"?

She doesn't get "discontinued".

I tried my best to explain how cosmetic companies often change their products/color choices from time to time and replace them with new ones.  My explanation was obviously lacking, so we agreed to look for that particular makeup on another day.  We both came  home happy.















3 comments:

  1. maybe living with you is helping her improve, at least slow down the progression, take care, I keep you in my prayers,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those were my thoughts exactly as I read this post. She had been living alone, and now she is surrounded with people who love and really care for her. I'm delighted whatever the reason for the improvements.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought mom new make up for Christmas, two of everything, and she's never used them. She was always a fasion plate and put together with matching jewelry, so it's been odd to see her not want her make-up. She still enjoys her jewelry, but not her face make-up. My grandmother loved bingo at her nursing home, but Mom won't play at all. I hope your mothers enjoys it.

    ReplyDelete