About Me

My photo
Louisiana
We're not the typical family. I've recently become Caregiver/Guardian to my Mom as she deals with Dementia. I'm married, have three grown children and also an 18 yr. old daughter who lives at home and recently made us grandparents to her beautiful new baby girl. That means that we have four generations of women under the same roof. Mister and I have been married forever. . .It's not the life we dreamed about, nor the one we would have chosen, but most days we find a way to laugh and bumble our way through. We're enjoying the journey, even with the unexpected side trips along the way. FOLLOW ME, if you dare! LOL!

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

He/She?


Just a small thing I've noticed lately.

Mom is having problems with her pronouns - those of the "he" & "she" variety.  I'm not sure if it's because she forgets who is a boy and who is a girl, or if "he" has simply gotten stuck in her recall ability.  It seems most days she refers to a lot of people as a "he", especially if she isn't looking at them, but simply referring to them.  Feminine names seem to not be an indicator for her.  Lately the granddolls have been sending her notes in the mail.   There are 3 granddolls - all in the same family.  Mom has a difficult time remembering if Grace and Paige are a "he" or a "she".  She also refers to the new baby in our house as "he", though she is usually decked out in pink & ruffles. It doesn't actually matter, but I wanted to document this change so I can watch and see if it is a passing thing or becomes permanent.  The mind is a strange thing, and when certain "wires' get tangled one never knows what changes it will make.

Geesh!  Mom is strong.
I can tell that often certain things become very confusing for her,
but she just "keeps on rolling".  The strength and fortitude to keep going amidst change and adversity is much a matter of choice.  She struggles with the changes with great courage, yet finds a way to make the best out of a trying time.  The loss of her independence is BIG, but her internal strength is BIGGER!

Go Mom!!


.

4 comments:

  1. Good for her!! AND you!!! My mother is the same way. He/she. Names. I can tell who she's talking about most of the time even if she uses the wrong words. And I don't correct her. It may be wrong but I allow her to at think she 'said it right!'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't correct my Mom either, "close enough" is absolutely fine.

      Delete
  2. My mother-in-law "lost" names and I became "the other one." Not sure if that meant I was bad or good but it was my new identity! I'm proud of you for showing your love and patience; praying for blessings for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "The other one". LOL. Your claim to family fame. :-)
    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete