About Me

My photo
Louisiana
We're not the typical family. I've recently become Caregiver/Guardian to my Mom as she deals with Dementia. I'm married, have three grown children and also an 18 yr. old daughter who lives at home and recently made us grandparents to her beautiful new baby girl. That means that we have four generations of women under the same roof. Mister and I have been married forever. . .It's not the life we dreamed about, nor the one we would have chosen, but most days we find a way to laugh and bumble our way through. We're enjoying the journey, even with the unexpected side trips along the way. FOLLOW ME, if you dare! LOL!

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Sunday Smile


  1. No white shoes till after Easter.
  2. One's purse should always match one's shoes.
  3. Jewelry is good, but should always be worn sparingly.

These were a few of the rules Mom taught me when I was a child.  She dressed accordingly - conservative, and always very well groomed. . .

Last night she had me come into her room.  She had put together an outfit she was thinking about wearing to church this morning.  She had chosen a beautiful, rose pink, eyelet blouse, to be worn over a white tank top, and a pair of khaki pants, with brown shoes, and a brown purse.  She asked my opinion.  I thought it was very pretty!  Then, upon a closer look I realized the khaki pants, were not actually slacks, but sweat pants.  We discussed the sweat pants and I suggested that she think about wearing jeans, rather than the sweat pants.  She frowned, and thought about it, then chose a pair of dark-washed jeans to replace them.  We both agreed it looked much better. . . (I bet you can tell where this story is going.  LOL)  This morning she was the first one dressed for church, wearing her lovely blouse and her sweat pants.  Not too long ago Mom would have been "horrified" by this pairing - no exageration here, she WOULD have been horrified, really.

 "Mom, did you change your mind about the pants?", I asked.

She frowned.

To-may-to, To-mah-to.  Slacks. Sweat Pants.  Did it really matter?
I let it go, so out the door we went, Mom in her beautiful rose colored blouse and white tank, paired with her sweat pants.  *smile*
Mom felt beautiful and she looked beautiful.

I'm reminded of the well-known poem, "When I Am Old I Will Wear Purple".  Mom's version would read, "When I Am Old I Will Wear Sweat Pants to Church".

4 comments:

  1. awww, we'll all be there one day, in church in our fancy blouse with sweat pants, bless her heart,

    ReplyDelete
  2. this reminds me of when my son wanted to start dressing himself. Shorts and moon boots. I realized then, thankfully, that is was okay. In the grand scheme of things it was more important how he felt (proud) than how he looked. Power to you and I'm sure you mother did look nice but I know she felt wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for your mom and good for YOU!!! You and I both know how important it is for our mothers to feel good about themselves!
    You did GOOD, Girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you had a great day at church! Let's face it, most people don't really pay too much attention to what we wear, do they? So, we might as well wear whatever we're comfortable in.

    ReplyDelete