About Me

My photo
Louisiana
We're not the typical family. I've recently become Caregiver/Guardian to my Mom as she deals with Dementia. I'm married, have three grown children and also an 18 yr. old daughter who lives at home and recently made us grandparents to her beautiful new baby girl. That means that we have four generations of women under the same roof. Mister and I have been married forever. . .It's not the life we dreamed about, nor the one we would have chosen, but most days we find a way to laugh and bumble our way through. We're enjoying the journey, even with the unexpected side trips along the way. FOLLOW ME, if you dare! LOL!

Friday, April 12, 2013

The power of the written word.


Mom just came into the room, crying.
(I have only seen my Mom cry a few times, before dementia.  I don't know if it's the meds or the disease, but now her emotions are very close to the surface.)  She handed me two pretty cards she received in the mail today.  One was from a friend of the family, the other was from a friend from her church in Tulsa. "I've been sitting in my room crying", she said.  At first I couldn't quite grasp at the reason for the tears, as mail usually makes her happy.  I read the card from her friend - it was beautiful.  She had written a lovely letter thanking Mom for all the times she had visited with her mother when she was in the nursing home - it was heartfelt and touching.  It brought tears of joy to my Mom to realize just how much she had been appreciated for her acts of kindness which she did years ago.

It made me think of all the wonderful notes/cards that I have received through the years from people who took the time to "care" and tell me so.

I love email,  but there is still a need for the occasional handwritten letter, note, or card.  Know anyone who would enjoy hearing from you?

Now.
I must go buy some stamps.

3 comments:

  1. awww, thats so sweet, moments when dementia victims are in the here and now are precious, I am a letter writer, I prefer to write letters, its also nice to get them!I just mailed one off today, a blogging friends mother is having surgery and she asked f any of us would like to send a card to perk her up, no problem!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to send notes and I love receiving notes and I save them. So sweet of the ladies to be thinking of your Mom.

    ReplyDelete