About Me

My photo
Louisiana
We're not the typical family. I've recently become Caregiver/Guardian to my Mom as she deals with Dementia. I'm married, have three grown children and also an 18 yr. old daughter who lives at home and recently made us grandparents to her beautiful new baby girl. That means that we have four generations of women under the same roof. Mister and I have been married forever. . .It's not the life we dreamed about, nor the one we would have chosen, but most days we find a way to laugh and bumble our way through. We're enjoying the journey, even with the unexpected side trips along the way. FOLLOW ME, if you dare! LOL!

Thursday, April 4, 2013

Wednesdays & Thursdays? ?

It's been a month since Mom can to live with us.
Our family is thrilled.  Mom is still adjusting but most days she is quite happy too.  We view this as a win/win!  We have settled into a comfortable schedule of sorts.

Sunday      Church, then dinner out as a family

Monday     Mom and I play BINGO at the Senior Center in the am, then run errands.

Tuesday     Mom and I enjoy "arts & crafts" at the Senior Center in the am, then go home to do laundry.  
                  She LOVES folding laundry and I appreciate the help.

Wed.         Free Day  (she helps me with some light housekeeping chores)

Thurs.        Free Day

Fri.            1 o'clock beauty shop appointment for Mom to get her hair done.

Sat.           Afternoon early dinner "out" with family.

Wednesdays and Thursdays are the problem days.
I am called upon to be an "event planner" on these days.
I find it difficult to find ways to keep Mom busy all day long.
There are just so many times she can sweep the kitchen floor, shred mail, dust, etc.  She doesn't watch TV and seldom will read, and she asks me constantly, "What can I do now?  You know I like to be busy."  On days the weather is good she enjoys sweeping the patio and front porch,and we can go for a short walk, but lately we've had LOTS of rain.  She also seems to enjoy "mending" her clothes - sewing on buttons & hemming.  Maybe embroidery would be an idea?

I'm not complaining, just searching.
If you can think of some ideas for "busy-ness" I'd love to hear them.
Anyone know what I would need by way of supplies for a simple embroidery project?


3 comments:

  1. Maybe a button craft project! I have taken a circle of elastic and a jar of vintage buttons along with a sturdy needle and some button thread - and made bracelets. That would be a creative activity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might try going to the library & then going to get an ice cream or cold pop at Sonic. If she's not reading much now, try getting a video or a music CD.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what about a simple sewing project? I have seen fabric patterns where you just cut out and sew together, then stuff. Maybe some of those?

    ReplyDelete