About Me

My photo
Louisiana
We're not the typical family. I've recently become Caregiver/Guardian to my Mom as she deals with Dementia. I'm married, have three grown children and also an 18 yr. old daughter who lives at home and recently made us grandparents to her beautiful new baby girl. That means that we have four generations of women under the same roof. Mister and I have been married forever. . .It's not the life we dreamed about, nor the one we would have chosen, but most days we find a way to laugh and bumble our way through. We're enjoying the journey, even with the unexpected side trips along the way. FOLLOW ME, if you dare! LOL!

Friday, April 26, 2013

Hell Day.


I knew there would be ongoing obstacles along the road of dementia with Mom.  Earlier this week we hit a HUGE one.  Mom decided to quit taking her meds.  She feels I control her by giving her the meds so she simply refused to take them, after all she doesn't need them anyway.

I ground the meds and did my best to hide them within her dessert.  She was onto me and threw the dessert into the sink and washed it down the drain.  The following day was what I refer to as "Hell Day".  She woke up early and angry.  She had an early ear dr appointment.  She raged on the drive there.  Hit me as we were getting onto the elevator.  Made a scene in the doctor's waiting room - calling me names and telling the others waiting that I had stolen all her money and left her penniless - and that was just the tip of the iceberg.  While she was having her ear exam I called her medical doctor and arranged to bring her there after the ear appointment.  One of the nurses in the office actually rode with me and Mom on the elevator and helped me maneuver her into the car.  The medical doc's office was close by - thank heaven for small favors.  The doctor saw Mom and then made arrangements for her to be admitted into an Alz/dementia hospital.  She will stay there for a few days while they get her back onto her meds.

Yep, Hell Day.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, my sweet dear friend!How painful this is for you ALL - but especially you. We will be praying for your mom and for YOU to be girded with strength! I wish we were closer so I could give you a hug and a pep talk reminding you of just how wonderful you are. You are doing your very best. That has GOT to be good enough. God most certainly is doing the rest. God has control of this very situation and will lead you heart with perfect peace. That's my prayer for you, Amen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless your heart! You and your family will be in my prayers. Be sure to take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete