About Me

My photo
Louisiana
We're not the typical family. I've recently become Caregiver/Guardian to my Mom as she deals with Dementia. I'm married, have three grown children and also an 18 yr. old daughter who lives at home and recently made us grandparents to her beautiful new baby girl. That means that we have four generations of women under the same roof. Mister and I have been married forever. . .It's not the life we dreamed about, nor the one we would have chosen, but most days we find a way to laugh and bumble our way through. We're enjoying the journey, even with the unexpected side trips along the way. FOLLOW ME, if you dare! LOL!

Saturday, May 4, 2013

Carnival Games

I have tried to visit Mom while she is in the hospital, but she has "refused my visit"each time, except for once.  On that particular day my daughter and I were both there for the visit.  Mom came into the room, greeted my daughter, looked me square in the eye and said, "I don't want to see you.  I don't want to look at you or to ever see your face again, but I came out [here] because the nurse told me it would look good on my record, and help me get out of here sooner", then she quickly turned to my daughter, asking, "How is the baby today?"

Since that day she has refused all my calls and my efforts to visit.

Today my husband and I went together for a visit.

Once again, when they told her we were there she "refused our visit".
I asked the nurse to tell her I was leaving and ask her if she would visit with my husband.

I left.

Mom did.

He said she looked good and spoke calmly.

She told him she is angry at my sister and I because we have caused her all this trouble.  She says if we had left her alone she would be able to live by herself in her own home, like her friends do.  She doesn't understand she has advanced dementia. She doesn't believe the doctors. She doesn't believe her family.  She doesn't believe anyone who says anything she doesn't want to hear.

I want her to understand what is happening.
I want her to understand that we are all working together to help her live as independently as possible.
I want her to understand that "I have her back".

But, she is ANGRY, and she doesn't understand.
Dementia has robbed her of the ability to reason and understand.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *


It seems like dementia problems "pop up" much like a carnival game and I am constantly swatting at them trying to fix them as they rear their ugly heads.  




4 comments:

  1. Blessings and hugs to you. There's just no easy part of this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And we have your back! Bless your heart in all this. Even though your head knows she doesn't understand what's going on, your heart still hurts. You are doing what's best for her--just keep telling yourself that. It's going to be okay.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can feel your pain in your words and my heart breaks as I read. I do hope that you are finding some peace in knowing you are doing the right thing for and by your mother. It's not always easy taking care of the ones we love. Stay strong and keep faith.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It can be a tough time for your mom and your entire family to adjust to the situation caused by her condition. It might be better to hire a professional caregiver to help you in taking care of your mother. A professional caregiver can administer quality care in the comfort of your own home. They can live at your home for two weeks or more, depending on the needs of the client. And this is a great way to monitor your mom, instead of leaving her all the time in the hospital, which only gives you worries. Being surrounded by the same group of people will also help lessen the episodes of memory loss.

    Live-In Comfort Ltd

    ReplyDelete