About Me

My photo
Louisiana
We're not the typical family. I've recently become Caregiver/Guardian to my Mom as she deals with Dementia. I'm married, have three grown children and also an 18 yr. old daughter who lives at home and recently made us grandparents to her beautiful new baby girl. That means that we have four generations of women under the same roof. Mister and I have been married forever. . .It's not the life we dreamed about, nor the one we would have chosen, but most days we find a way to laugh and bumble our way through. We're enjoying the journey, even with the unexpected side trips along the way. FOLLOW ME, if you dare! LOL!

Saturday, May 11, 2013

Listening with the heart.


What if,
in the course of a single day,
you lost your
  1. Home
  2. Car
  3. Bank Accounts
  4. The freedom to come & go at will
This must be what it feels like to be put into Guardianship.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

I was part of a meeting today at the hospital.
There were three of us present.
Mom.  A Nurse.  Me.
Mom was not happy to see me.
We discussed Mom's med's and the arrangement that she "live with me". 
 She said I treat her like an "Idiot".

"Ouch!"

I suppose that's what it feels like to be the person "in Guardianship".  

Yet to the person who has agreed to become "the Guardian" it's the reality that things must be done to protect and care for the person, even when they hate you for it;  Even when they don't understand and wish you would go far away and leave them alone to fend for them self.  There are no words kind enough and no smiles wide enough to bridge the void when one feels totally robbed of the life they have always known.

Mom will be released from the hospital on Monday.
It's gonna be a l-o-n-g week.
On Friday she will go to Oklahoma to visit with my Sister (for a month) - this has been planned for a very long time, but the timing is very good, all thing considered.

I am gonna "re-think" our situation while she is away.
I'm gonna check into an Adult Day Care Program.  This might be a good thing for a couple of days each week.  Perhaps it would help her to not feel as though she is "under my thumb" all the time.  I'm also gonna make some changes to her room that I feel will make it more accommodating on her return.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 
Some days are difficult, but it doesn't make them any less precious.  Documenting Mom's journey is one of the ways I deal with the reality of her Alz's diagnosis, and it's my hope that perhaps it brings some insight and understanding to others who are walking this same path.



No comments:

Post a Comment