About Me

My photo
Louisiana
We're not the typical family. I've recently become Caregiver/Guardian to my Mom as she deals with Dementia. I'm married, have three grown children and also an 18 yr. old daughter who lives at home and recently made us grandparents to her beautiful new baby girl. That means that we have four generations of women under the same roof. Mister and I have been married forever. . .It's not the life we dreamed about, nor the one we would have chosen, but most days we find a way to laugh and bumble our way through. We're enjoying the journey, even with the unexpected side trips along the way. FOLLOW ME, if you dare! LOL!

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Hallelujah!


—used to express praise, joy, or thanks

Daughter and I went to visit Mom this evening and Mom actually consented to visiting with us.  She looked good and seemed quite social.  At one point in our visit she went over to another group of people who were visiting and chatted with them for a bit.  This is highly unusual, but good, behavior for her.  The weight of our visiting rested mainly on my shoulders and I babbled on, being careful to not trip over any subject I thought she would find upsetting.  I talked out our dog.  I talked about the new baby.  I talked about the weather.  I talked about the roses in bloom.  I talked about the mail.  etc. etc.  Mom asked me a few times about when she would be coming home.  I told her I thought it would be in a week, which is what I've been told.  She tells me she likes this place and that the food is good.  She talks about watching TV and visiting with people in the rec room.  Then she shifts mindsets and tells me this place is like jail and it is "nasty".  When I make mention of missing her and being anxious for her to come home, she shrugs her shoulders and rolls her eyes to the side, inferring she doesn't believe what I'm saying.  I ignore it and continue to chat about the warm weather.

It's a mystery to me at what made the difference in Mom's willingness to see me today, rather than the other days she has "refused" my visits.  Perhaps her meds have had enough time in her system to help now.  Perhaps it's the antidepressant they have added to the meds. Perhaps it's answered prayer or a combination of all these things.

Whatever the reason, I.Am.Thankful.


3 comments: