About Me

My photo
Louisiana
We're not the typical family. I've recently become Caregiver/Guardian to my Mom as she deals with Dementia. I'm married, have three grown children and also an 18 yr. old daughter who lives at home and recently made us grandparents to her beautiful new baby girl. That means that we have four generations of women under the same roof. Mister and I have been married forever. . .It's not the life we dreamed about, nor the one we would have chosen, but most days we find a way to laugh and bumble our way through. We're enjoying the journey, even with the unexpected side trips along the way. FOLLOW ME, if you dare! LOL!

Sunday, May 12, 2013

Mother's Day.


The Alz hospital Mom is in does not allow you to bring anything to their patients. Visitors are not even allowed to carry their own purse into the visiting room.  I hoped today would be different, since it is Mother's Day.  We had bought Mom a new pair of summer pajamas.  I folded them neatly them simply wrapped colored tissue paper around them and slipped a card between the paper and the pj's.  I showed it to the nurses at the Sign-in desk and they gave me the OK.

Johnny and I waited at a dining table for Mom to join us.
A nurse told us she was in the shower but would be out soon.
We watched other families as they visited.  Some visits seemed to be going well
while there were others trying to visit with their loved one/patient who were obviously
agitated and in no condition to yet be put into the mix of the public.

Finally.
The nurse returned to say she was sorry, but Mom didn't want to visit.
The nurse asked if I was "Debbie, the daughter she lived with".

"Yes.  Yes I am", was my reply..

"She says the reason you've not come to take her out of here is because you've
been with some  man.".

Johnny and I smiled and I said, "Yes.  The same man I've been with for 42 years".

I asked the nurse if she would take the gift and give it to Mom for me.
Of course she would

The nurse apologized for Mom.
She felt sorry for me, I could tell.
Johnny also felt sorry for me, he told me so.

No need to feel sorry for me.  Really.
I have my Mom, which is more than my husband and many of my friends can say.
Mom is different, but she's still my Mom, she's still alive, and I still love her.
She's supposed be discharged from the hospital tomorrow to come home with me.
I haven't a clue as to how this is gonna work, but I know God does,
and tomorrow, when the time is right He will reveal it to me.
All I need do is show up!

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 
All four of my children sent sweet gifts and followed up
with phone calls today.
Being a Mom is a wonderful gift in it's self.


2 comments:

  1. I love your love and patience for your Mom. (her new reason for avoiding you is a funny one!)

    ReplyDelete