About Me

My photo
Louisiana
We're not the typical family. I've recently become Caregiver/Guardian to my Mom as she deals with Dementia. I'm married, have three grown children and also an 18 yr. old daughter who lives at home and recently made us grandparents to her beautiful new baby girl. That means that we have four generations of women under the same roof. Mister and I have been married forever. . .It's not the life we dreamed about, nor the one we would have chosen, but most days we find a way to laugh and bumble our way through. We're enjoying the journey, even with the unexpected side trips along the way. FOLLOW ME, if you dare! LOL!

Monday, May 13, 2013

Outta there!


Mom was discharged from the hospital today.
The nurse went over her list of meds with me,
and then with her.  I brought the car around, she got into the car while the nurse put her suitcase into the back of the car.  He shot me a look then whispered "good luck".  We smiled.

Mom fumbled with her seat belt for a while, and I resisted the urge to help because I knew she didn't want any.  Then off we went in stone silence.  In a bit I asked if there was anything she needed while we were out.  "Toothpaste", she answered.  I stopped by a small Dollar General Store near our house.  She began trying to exit the car before I stopped the engine.  "Do you want to get it or do you want me to?", I asked.  "I'll get it", she huffed.  "Then you'll need some money" , I said pulling $5 out of my purse and handing it to her. (I knew she had no money with her since she wasn't allowed to have any while in the hospital.)  She was in the store for a very l-o-n-g  time, but there is only one door, so I knew she would eventually have to come out the same way she had gone in.  At last she emerged with a small sack in her hands. I assume she found the toothpaste, but I know she found the candy bars, 'cause later she gave one to my daughter.  None for me.  *smile*  I hope she remembered to buy the toothpaste.

She ate her lunch at the  kitchen table with me and my daughter, but didn't say a word unless spoken to.  I asked if she wanted me to make her an appointment for the Beauty Shop between now and Friday.  "You know I do", she snapped.  She finished up her lunch and headed straight for her bedroom where she remained the entire afternoon, except for mid afternoon when she came out to give the Mother's Day gift & card (I had given her yesterday) to my daughter, telling her to give it back to me, as she didn't want it. This did not surprise me one bit.

When dinner was ready and placed on the table my husband called her to dinner.  She refused dinner telling him she wasn't hungry because she had been eating candy while in her room this afternoon.

I knocked on her bedroom door at 7:30 pm.
She opened the door.
"I brought your meds, Mom".
She took them without hesitation.

"Thank you, Jesus!"

All things considered I think the day went well, don't you?!



6 comments:

  1. I DO!!! I really DO!!! You are a SAINT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Sainthood, just relief.
      Somehow I just "knew" today would go alright.

      Delete
  2. You are amazing. You and your family. I send you love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are kind.
    I do have an amazing support system of friends and family. I count you as one of them. Thanks for following along.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Went pretty good. God bless you. (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done! Taking the meds was a huge accomplishment for both of you!

    ReplyDelete