About Me

My photo
Louisiana
We're not the typical family. I've recently become Caregiver/Guardian to my Mom as she deals with Dementia. I'm married, have three grown children and also an 18 yr. old daughter who lives at home and recently made us grandparents to her beautiful new baby girl. That means that we have four generations of women under the same roof. Mister and I have been married forever. . .It's not the life we dreamed about, nor the one we would have chosen, but most days we find a way to laugh and bumble our way through. We're enjoying the journey, even with the unexpected side trips along the way. FOLLOW ME, if you dare! LOL!

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

At the moment. . .


I'm glad to report that Mom is happy and doing great visiting with my Sister.  I love that she is doing well and I love that I'm not the one (at the moment) who is responsible for her happiness.  It's one thing to be responsible for a person's physical well-being, and a whole 'nother thing to be responsible for their happiness.  Caring for someones physical needs is much easier than trying to help someone find happiness in a situation that is foreign and unwanted to them.

I think my Mom liked me much better before she had to live with me. LOL   She tells me, and anyone who will listen, that I am "bossy".  *This makes me smile - I don't know why, but it just does.  Before Mom came here to live lots of people seemed to worry about me and how I would feel spending so much time with her.  The truth is I have enjoyed being around Mom far more than she has enjoyed being around me.  I have simply added her to our "in home" family, made some adjustments, and kept moving.  She, on the other hand, has had a very hard time making the adjustment.  I think she has grown tired of being around me 24/7.  Imagine that?!  I'm looking into an adult daycare facility, which I think we'll refer to as "The Senior Club".  I'm hoping she will be able to go there a couple of days each week to mingle and make friends with people her age.  She needs the independence of being away from me more.

I know I can't make Mom be happy.
I know I CAN try to facilitate more independence for her.

I'll let you know how the adult daycare  "Senior Club" checks out.

2 comments:

  1. Good for you! It IS a heavy responsibility. My sisters hold that heavy burden for my mother. I do well with Friday visits and daily phone calls. Mother has never been interested in the senior citizens groups and since she is comfortable staying at home - we leave it at that. But she's not around any of us all day. Nita works (the sister she lives with) so Mother gets enough alone time but she does get to be with people SOME every day.

    I think you are doing an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are just the best inspiration, you shoot from the hip, I like that, honesty is always the best policy!!!

    ReplyDelete