About Me

My photo
Louisiana
We're not the typical family. I've recently become Caregiver/Guardian to my Mom as she deals with Dementia. I'm married, have three grown children and also an 18 yr. old daughter who lives at home and recently made us grandparents to her beautiful new baby girl. That means that we have four generations of women under the same roof. Mister and I have been married forever. . .It's not the life we dreamed about, nor the one we would have chosen, but most days we find a way to laugh and bumble our way through. We're enjoying the journey, even with the unexpected side trips along the way. FOLLOW ME, if you dare! LOL!

Monday, May 20, 2013

To curl or not to curl? That is the question.



(Remember the classic Abbott & Costello comedy skit, "Who's on First?".  I lived my own version of that this week.)

Mom was excited about her upcoming visit to Oklahoma to visit with my Sister, so we made arrangements for some "extras" at the Beauty Shop so she'd look her best during her visit.  She wanted her hair cut.  She also wanted it permed, then styled. She told me so.

Fast-forward to three days later. . . As we were driving to the Beauty Shop, Mom said she didn't want her hair cut, and seemed surprised I had ever had such a thought...We arrived at the shop and talked to the sweet woman who does her hair each week.  "These are the plans", I told the beautician, "forget the haircut and just do the perm, then style as usual".  Mom nodded in agreement.  As I walked across the room to wait, the stylist called to me, "She doesn't want a perm".  Really?

I talked with Mom again, "I thought you wanted to get a perm, Mom," I said.

"No, I don't want a perm".

"Well, do you want your hair cut?", I asked again.

"A little.  A little across the bottom", she motioned.

"And you're sure you don't want the perm?

"No, I know I won't like it, so I don't want a perm, but you want me to get a perm".

"No, Mom, it's totally up to you.  If you want a perm, you get a perm.  If you don't want a perm, then you don't have to get one.  You decide."

She decided on no perm, but to have a tiny bit cut from the length of her hair, then her usual wash, set, and comb-out.  An hour later she looked great and we were on our way home.

We made the drive to Oklahoma on Friday.  She was delighted to see my Sister and begin her visit.  The next evening our entire family gathered for a family birthday party.  "Oh, Grandma", my oldest daughter said, "Your hair looks so nice".

"It would have looked even better if your Mom had let me get a perm", she replied.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

My Sister tells me that Mom is doing great and they are having a wonderful time.  










3 comments:

  1. hahaha. Can't win can ya sweetie? Hope your sister and mom are safe and out of the terrible stuff going on in OK right now. Love ya. Melody

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just keep hanging in there! Glad your family is okay. No telling how your mom would handle being affected by those tornadoes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my, I can only imagine how hard it must be sometimes, all the time? I'm glad you have this outlet to share in.

    ReplyDelete