About Me

My photo
Louisiana
We're not the typical family. I've recently become Caregiver/Guardian to my Mom as she deals with Dementia. I'm married, have three grown children and also an 18 yr. old daughter who lives at home and recently made us grandparents to her beautiful new baby girl. That means that we have four generations of women under the same roof. Mister and I have been married forever. . .It's not the life we dreamed about, nor the one we would have chosen, but most days we find a way to laugh and bumble our way through. We're enjoying the journey, even with the unexpected side trips along the way. FOLLOW ME, if you dare! LOL!

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

"Call Me Maybe"


I called the assisted living center today to talk to Mom.
The first time I called she was having her hair done.
I called back and this time I got her.

I asked about her hair appointment...
I reminisced about the soup I was cooking for dinner, reminding her that she was the one who had first taught me how to make homemade soup...I asked about the meals at the center...We discussed the weather.

She asked about my daughter (her grand daughter, who is expecting a baby soon).
She asked about my husband.

I told her I called because I wanted to hear her voice.

She told me it was almost time for her dinner.

"We'll talk again soon", I said.  "I love you.  G'Bye".

"No you don't", I heard her say as she hung up the phone.

6 comments:

  1. Is she at the assisted living rather then at your house? I have been through this with my dear mom - and let me tell you - it is a hard ride Debbie. I am so sorry, but you will make it though. sandie

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is at Assisted Living while we are going through the legalities of becoming her Guardian. Hoping she will be here with us within the month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to take care of my mom when she was in assisted living. Along with working a full time job and having 3 small kids to take care of, I made sure I was there for her every day and sometimes twice a day. It was hard... especially when she would complain, 'nobody ever comes to see me'. Errr! Debbie, you are doing your best.. I know her comments hurt but you know it's not really in her heart to say this. This is the dementia talking. I'm thinking God knew exactly what you were going to need at this chapter in your life, and that's why He sent you a new grand-doll. ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Mom and Dad were evacuated out of the Asst Living Facility in New Orleans on Bayou St John, right before Katrina. The place was flooded and never reopened. We brought them to the Asst Living Facility here where I live in N.C. My Dad only lived for one month after Katrina and my Mom died four months later. I was there every day for at least twice a day and after my Dad passed three if not more. I would tuck my Mom in at night. Still she would point out the other daughters that were there all day and say it's too bad you can't be like that. Sigh.. I was working full time and had a teenager in high school at the time and a son in college. I washed their clothes for them as they didn't like what the asstd living facility did to their laundry. You do what you can as we know they did when we were their kids. It's life, not always fair, but the love for them will get you through. HUGS BIG HUGS TO YOU! Sweet and loving Debbie, she knows you love her...it probably is the dementia and also those we love know the buttons to push that get to our hearts. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, those last words must have been so painful. It's at times like these that we have to continually revel in and celebrate those wonderful memories because they are going to be our lifeblood for the duration. We are going through the same thing with my mother in law and father in law, in varying stages of dementia, while they adjust to a very nice nursing home. I'm adding you and your mom to my prayer list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So touchy. Worth a share.
    assisted living for the mentally ill.

    ReplyDelete