About Me

My photo
Louisiana
We're not the typical family. I've recently become Caregiver/Guardian to my Mom as she deals with Dementia. I'm married, have three grown children and also an 18 yr. old daughter who lives at home and recently made us grandparents to her beautiful new baby girl. That means that we have four generations of women under the same roof. Mister and I have been married forever. . .It's not the life we dreamed about, nor the one we would have chosen, but most days we find a way to laugh and bumble our way through. We're enjoying the journey, even with the unexpected side trips along the way. FOLLOW ME, if you dare! LOL!

Monday, February 4, 2013

When is a lie not a lie? Wondering.


I am a Christian.
Mom actually led me to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ when I was eight years old.  I remember it clearly and fully understood the decision I was making.  I was taught right from wrong.  I was taught the ten commandments.  I was taught the infallibility of God's word.  I've built my life on these truths and raised my children by the same standards.

The last time I visited with Mom she became very angry, which is not unusual for her these days.  Mom has always had "spunk", but the dementia seems to have heightened this tendency while at the same time dulling her behavior filter.  Now when she is angered it's not terribly unusual for her to say cruel, profane things, and at times to even hit at whoever has offended her - which has always been a family member thus far.  That said, Mom is not wild.  She knows when she can act like this and when she can't.  She became angry with the judge at times when we were in court.  She spoke directly to the judge at appropriate times, stating her opinions clearly, but never once raised her voice or spoke in a manner that was disrespectful.  She totally knew what was acceptable and "behaved" accordingly.  When our case was adjourned Mom became irate with our family members.  She spewed profanity and told us over and over that she hoped we died before she did.  She accused us of terrible things and approached a stranger in the hallway telling her how awful her family was.  The poor stranger sat in silence as Mom ranted.  It was obvious to anyone near that something was not right.

I tried to calm her.
"You don't mean that Mom, don't say those things."
"You know that's not true", etc. etc.
The more I tried to calm her the more irate she became.

I've been doing a lot of reading lately.
I'm trying to educate myself and learn techniques of dealing with this type of behavior.  The first thing I learned was that I've been doing it all wrong, and saying all the wrong things.

I've read from various sources and they each advise to never scold, and certainly to never tell someone with dementia that they don't mean what they are saying.  They tell me that people with dementia do certainly mean what they say, even if it's not based in reality, it is their real feelings based on how they are perceiving the world at the moment.  The best method is to sympathize and validate their words, then calmly redirect to another subject if possible. . .Soooo, what I should have said was more along the lines of, "I know we've made you angry. . .Now, would you like some pie?"  OK, I'm being silly, but you get the idea.  I'm such a beginner at this.  I'm learning but have not yet had the opportunity to use my new found knowledge.  We'll see.  Honestly, it seems to me if the person with dementia knows when and how to behave but chooses not to adhere to this, then a gentle bit of scolding would be acceptable.  I would think, "Stop hitting.  You know that's not right and there will be no pie for you until you calm down", would be advisable, but the experts I read don't seem to think this is the way to go.  I told you I'm learning.

Perhaps the biggest problem I have at this moment with the things I'm reading is the "validation" of things I know are not true.  This is where the advice bumps up against my morals.  I really try very hard not to lie about things.  Example: If Mom asks if I have her car keys, I hedge.  I don't want to say, "Yes, I have them", because I know it will upset her and probably cause her to spiral into anger and a rant and make her terribly unhappy, so I hedge.  I try to avoid answering the question directly, but at the same time I try not to lie.  I'm told the best technique is to give her the answer she actually wants, then to redirect her.  If I did that my response would be something like, "No, I don't have your keys.  I bet they're in your room and you can look for them after you have a snack; care for pie?."  That feels like a lie to me.  I wonder if God sees that response as a lie or if he understands and sees this as simply a technique for dealing with someone who often lives in a different reality than the one around her?  I'm sure some people find it odd that I would question this, but I do.  The Bible is pretty straight forward about lying.

This bothers me.

Thoughts?






6 comments:

  1. I understand where you are today. I have been there in the past few weeks. I think if your lie is for the greater good then perhaps it can be construed a white lie. There is a lot to be said for redirect. And you must be careful about the lie.

    I have also learned never to contradict someone who is admanant about something. Ignore the words but pay attention to the emotion. They will forget the profanity hurled at you within five minutes. It will stay with you for days. I want to go home/give me my keys/ means I am scared and fustrated. I told Dad, tomorrow we will see the Dr. and he will let you know. I did not have the heart to say you can not go home. Our nurse told us, we were setting him up for disappointment but I thought he would forget by the next day. The day came when he remembered and all heck broke loose. Our nurse said we should just say, "I know you are fustrated at being here, I'm sorry" "would you like ice cream"? Or as she tells him. "You have to stay with us for a while longer, would you like ice cream".

    Never scold;empathize...but most of all know that you are on a very difficult path doing the very best you can with all the love in your heart. That is what my God and yours sees. You are a loving and caring woman; enter her world with love and ice cream. Win/win.....God is on our side with this one. And we will continue to learn...because we have faith......Filly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl, you seem to come by all this reasoning "naturally", while I am struggling with one thing after another. This is hard stuff for me. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and reasoning. So glad to have people to learn from. Thinking about you.

      Delete
  2. I'm with you. Lying is wrong and there really is no getting around it. But right now you are in the position of being caregiver for your Mother, whom you love and honor and respect, which is also another of the commandments. You are not seeking to take advantage of her, you are doing your best to lovingly care for her and she isn't in a position now to understand what you are doing. Isn't it like dealing with a child who cannot reason the consequences of the thing they are wanting to which you say no? Can you put the keys in the care of someone else where you are then able to respond in truth and say you don't have them? And then change the subject? (I realize this might only work where something as small as keys are involved.)

    I know that God knows your heart and that you are not trying to deceive your Mother for your own personal gain and that He knows her heart and her mind and where she is. Aging Filly seems to have experience with all this where I never have. It is a hard thing that you are going through. You are seeking wisdom - He will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go. (Psalm 32:8)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just seems like a very fine line, don't you think? Good idea regarding the keys. I appreciate the verse you shared too. I am needing wisdom, for sure! Thanks, Connie!

      Delete
  3. I know where you are with this. Dementia is really hard, you have to take care of her in her world. I think what you are reading about this is spot on. I really had a hard time with my Mom with this at first. I learned to take care of her in her new world. I do not think I was lying to her, I just understood where she was. I just wanted to make her happy and to feel safe. I had to remember how to use my imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I honestly don't think this falls under the lying rule. You need to, have to do whatever is needed within safe guidelines to keep your mother safe and to help her function. It is hard. It will probably get harder at times. I believe that you'll be understood and forgiven.

    ReplyDelete