About Me

My photo
Louisiana
We're not the typical family. I've recently become Caregiver/Guardian to my Mom as she deals with Dementia. I'm married, have three grown children and also an 18 yr. old daughter who lives at home and recently made us grandparents to her beautiful new baby girl. That means that we have four generations of women under the same roof. Mister and I have been married forever. . .It's not the life we dreamed about, nor the one we would have chosen, but most days we find a way to laugh and bumble our way through. We're enjoying the journey, even with the unexpected side trips along the way. FOLLOW ME, if you dare! LOL!

Friday, February 8, 2013

Indecision


I've been looking, no searching, for some type of Adult daycare for when Mom comes to live with us.  I really HATE the term "Adult Daycare" - that sounds totally condescending to me.  What adult would want to go to "daycare"?  I digress. . .I've been reading and listening to people "who know" and it's a unanimous agreement that if I stand a chance on not burning out as a Caregiver it will be essential for Mom and I to have some "apart" time.  I'm also told that daycare can be a wonderful tool to help Mom function at her best.  It does make sense to me, even if I don't like what it's called.

Today I went to the only "Senior Services" I could find in our area.  I put the address into the Garmin and it lead me to a very dilapidated area of town.  The building was old, but well maintained.  The inside of the building smelled like old books. . .I was greeted by a lovely, well-dressed, late 40's woman.  She gave me a "Calendar of Events" and took me on a tour of the facility.  She bubbled with enthusiasm and pride as we toured.  Soon I found I had forgotten that the building was old.  She was AMAZING!  At one point we stood in front of a huge bulletin board which held photos of the Senior participants at many of the events held at the center.  She assured me that Mom would fit right in and soon make friends with the others who came regularly.  The programs run from 7 am to 11:30 am, five days a week.

Maybe Mom would enjoy going here once a week.
Maybe twice a week.
Maybe it would be more appealing if I referred to it as "school or classes".

Maybe Mom will bristle at the sight of the old building.
Maybe proper security is lacking.

Indecision.

6 comments:

  1. There is no harm in trying and you won't know until you try. If it works out, you all win. If not then you'll know and move onto the next thing. I can only begin to imagine how much is on your plate. Don't let what if's slow your progress or derail you. I have faith in you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way you reason. Good points.
    I'm thinking we'll give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will probably find some things work and some won't! You have to try it all though! For YOUR sake as well as hers! Bless your heart! When I think my life is a lot of work - I think about YOU! What we BOTH do is a labor of love. I know. It's still work and I admire you so very much! You are an amazing woman!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a labor intense "season", isn't it?
      But also one full of love!

      Delete
  4. I will be praying for you sweetie. It is not easy this 'season' we are in. In the middle of kids and growing old parents....my husband's Mom is almost 89 and widowed and lives alone and doesn't want to move to a retirement facility... it is hard.Sending love to you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to think "Walton's" but we're probably more like the Griswold's"! I appreciate your prayers.

      Delete