About Me

My photo
Louisiana
We're not the typical family. I've recently become Caregiver/Guardian to my Mom as she deals with Dementia. I'm married, have three grown children and also an 18 yr. old daughter who lives at home and recently made us grandparents to her beautiful new baby girl. That means that we have four generations of women under the same roof. Mister and I have been married forever. . .It's not the life we dreamed about, nor the one we would have chosen, but most days we find a way to laugh and bumble our way through. We're enjoying the journey, even with the unexpected side trips along the way. FOLLOW ME, if you dare! LOL!

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

The "G" word.


The entire process of becoming a Guardian for one's parent is something I hope you never have to experience.  It's an awful thing to need the court to declare your parent "incompetent".  Who wants to do that?
Not me.
Not my sister.
How we wish Mom had understood the need for signing Power-of-Attorney papers, but that was not the case.  She feared giving up control of what she and Dad had worked a lifetime to accomplish - their finances and their independence.  Sometimes one can hold onto things they love too tightly and that's exactly what happens when one has dementia and no Power-of-Attorney in place.  It's understandable, but also regrettable.  I will definitely sign a Power-of-Attorney when the time comes - the alternative is an awful option.


We are going through the legal process of Guardianship after being told by healthcare workers that it is the responsible thing to do at this time.  It's one of those "I don't wanna, but I gotta" type things.  It involves lawyers, lots of time, extra expense, lots of paperwork, and a judge.  It also makes for rough going when your parent doesn't understand why this is happening and how this is necessary for their well-being and protection.  When Guardianship is granted it is official that the parent/child relationship has flip-flopped, and the child has now become the "parent of the parent" to a major degree.  If you're a praying person I can guarantee that you will be on your knees seeking God's wisdom when this happens.  It's not an easy road.






3 comments:

  1. It reminds me of one of those old parental adages: "This hurts me more than it does you." How I wish I had some words of wisdom for you.

    I hope your attorney gets cracking and comes through for you. But I know whatever happens with this, God knows your heart and your pain and He will see you through this. "He gives strength to those who are tired; to the ones who lack power, He gives renewed energy. Isaiah 40:29

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Connie.
      We've done all we can do, and now it's in God's hands.
      I'm at peace with that.

      Delete
  2. Yes. It's very important. My father in law made a living trust and did all the right stuff and when the time comes we'll be doing the same with our kids. I'm a believer in being prepared for as much as you can be. I even have a "In case of my death" folder for my husband. He wouldn't have a clue how to pay the bills or what else to do.

    ReplyDelete